Chiusi (7 km)
Highly important in the Etruscan period, Chiusi experienced its greatest splendour under the legendary king Porsenna. Very significant finds from archaeological digs that are still successfully under way may be seen at the National Etruscan Archaeological Museum. To see the cathedral (Duomo) which already existed in the 12th century and was transformed in 1585, and next to it the Cathedral Museum, established in the 1930's, which houses important objects including precious illuminated missals.
Cetona (10 km)
Is ituated on the slopes of the mountain of the same name, Cetona retains the characteristic structure of mediaeval settlements with alleys and little roads that wind spirally nel oro on their way to the Fortress. The prehistoric settlement of Belverde 40.000 years old, is worth a visit. The Monte Cetona Civic Prehistory Museum is interesting with its finds from the Palaeolithic to the Bronze Age. In the Parish Church of San Michele arcangelo.
Sarteano (6 km)
The square Castle keep (10th century) speaks clearly of the mediaeval origins of Sarteano which stretches along a ridge dominating Val di Chiana.
Sarteano too can boast civil and religious buildings of indubitable interest: the church of San Martino in Foro, and the Collegiate Church of Saints Lorenzo. The Civic Archaeological Museum, which houses important Etruscan and Roman finds, is certainly worth a visit. On 15th August each year there is the "Giostra del Saracino", an enthusiastic horseback challenge of mediaeval origins.
Montepulciano (16 km)
This splendid little town has preserved its beauty intact. Going up the steep streets of its outlying districts the visitor discovers beautiful palazzos and churches imbued with the unparalleled art of foremost Renaissance architects. The splendid Piazza Grande, must be seen: the Duomo with its uncompleted façade and the Town Hall, surrounded by Renaissance palazzos. The valley below is an unforgettable view with the outstanding and elegant mass of the Tempio di S. Biagio.
Pienza (28 km)
Pope Pius II's "ideal town", now recognised by UNESCO as "World Heritage", has taken the place of the castle of Corsignano which for centuries overlooked the boundaries between the lands owned by Siena, and Orvieto. In 1458 Pope Pius II decided to transform the village of his birth into a symbol-town of the Italian Renaissance. Over the three years from 1459 to 1462 the new Pienza saw the creation of the luminous Cathedral which contains works by major Sienese artists; Palazzo Piccolomini whose loggia offers a celebrated panoramic view over Val d'Orcia; the Town Hall and the Bishop's Palace with its museum.
Chianciano ( 6 km )
Is one of the most important spa centres in Italy. And its fame in the field of spa cures has continued without interruption for more than 2000 years. This is borne out by the many Etruscan and Roman archaeological finds that are continually being discovered throughout the territory and are collected in the recently opened Civic Archaeological Museum.
San Casciano dei Bagni (20km)
The presence of hot springs: 42 springs at an average temperature of 40° C with a total capacity of approximately 5.5 million liters of water a day, which puts St. Casciano in third place in Europe for flow of thermal water. S. Casciano was founded by the Etruscan king Porsena, to found the "Baths Manhole", appreciated and frequented later by the Romans, either for 'effectiveness of the water, either by the proximity to Rome itself and the Via Cassia.
Rapolano Terme (55km)
Rapolano Terme is a medieval town in the province of Siena. It is a spa resort that has two modern factories.
Bagni San Filippo (25km)
Bagni San Filippo is a village in the municipality of Castiglione d'Orcia, on the slopes of Mount Amiata. It is a spa resort (sulphurous water) but little suggestive for the presence of calcium deposits that form white concretions of calcium carbonate and waterfalls. The name comes from the small village church dedicated to St. Philip the Apostle.
Bagno Vignoni (30km)
It is located in the Natural Artistic Park of the Val d'Orcia. At the center of the country a rectangular tank, a sixteenth century, contains a source of hot spring water. Since the time of the Etruscans and then the Romans, the baths of Bagno Vignoni were attended by distinguished figures such as Pope Pius II, Catherine of Siena, Lorenzo de 'Medici and the many artists who had elected the village as a place of resort.